Friday, July 02, 2010
Whole Radish Kimchi
Chonggak-kimchi is a type of Kimchi made of brined young radishes and their leaves. The word chonggak-kimchi came from the name of the young radish, chonggak-mu, which looked like the hairstyle of a young boy (chonggak) in olden days.
- 2.6 kg young radish
400 g (2 cups) water
160 g (1 cup) coarse salt
- 200 g small green onion
- glutinous rice soup
200 g (1cup) water
12 g (2 tbsp) glutinous rice powder
50 g (¼ cup) salted anchovies
40 g salted shrimps
70 g (¾ cups) ground red pepper
48 g (3 tbsp) minced garlic
6 g (½ tbsp) minced ginger 30 g (2½ tbsp) sugar
6 g (½ tbsp) salt
|AMT after cook||AMT per 1||Temp.||Heat time||Cook time||Cooker|
|2.8kg(40 portions)||70g||4~10℃||5 min||4 Hour|
1. Remove fine roots from the radish body, trim and wash cleanly. 【Photo 1】
2. Marinate the radish in coarse salt water for 3 hours (2.2 kg). Wash them in water and drain water on a strainer for 30 min. 【Photo 2】
3. Trim and wash small green onion and cut it into 4 cm-long (150 g).
4. Mince the solid ingredients of salted shrimps finely.
1. Put water and glutinous rice powder in the pot, mix, then boil it for 5 min. on high heat, and cool it down (130 g).
2. Mix the salted anchovies, salted shrimps, ground red pepper and glutinous rice soup together to make Kimchi seasoning.
3. Mix the marinated radish with prepared seasonings and other stuffs together, and season with sugar and salt. 【Photo 3】
4. Place them into a jar and press down. 【Photo 4】
|Preparation||Marinating young radish, Preparing stuffs|
|0 min||Boiling glutinous rice soup||H-Heat 5 min|
|5 min||Making Kimchi seasoning Mixing Kimchi with stuffs together Placing into a jar|
1.Small bundles of marinated mustard leaf and small green onion may be add to the whole radish Kimchi.
2.Dried red pepper after being soaked and ground may be substituted for the ground red pepper.